Monday, August 29, 2016

Hannah Ranalli Student Intro

Hi friends!

My name is Hannah Ranalli and I am a sophomore with the CED major focusing on international development. Currently I am pursuing a minor in geography and I hope to also get a minor in global health before graduation. My aim, with this major and minors, is to eventually go to grad school for public health and pursue a career in disaster relief. I am hoping this class will give me a better understanding of the way communities run and operate around the world and become more up to date with the current news and the difficulties which many of these areas face. This past summer I was fortunate enough to intern with a company in my hometown, Pittsburgh, called Just Harvest. Just Harvest is a non-profit, which aims to end hunger in Allegheny County through advocacy, connectivity and a “help people help themselves” attitude. I personally worked with a program called Fresh Corners, which aims to get fresh produce into local corner stores in an attempt to provide a healthier diet to many individuals living within the food deserts of Pittsburgh. Overall it was a great experience and it furthered my concerns about food security, nutrition and overall political policies on these issues. Besides these interests, I also love photography, doodling, whales, traveling (everywhere) and anything outdoors especially hiking, and kayaking. I hope to get to know all of you guys before the end of the semester!


2 comments:

  1. Disaster relief is a very interesting and important field of development. I was just in Ecuador during a 7.8 magnitude earthquake and it really made me realize all of the economic and social organization that goes into disaster relief. I'd love to hear more about your interests and experiences, especially with "Just Harvest". We'll try to incorporate some whales into the course for ya. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working at Just Harvest sounds like an amazing experience! Disaster relief is so important!

    ReplyDelete